A Single Thread
- Format:Hardback,352 pages
- Publisher:HarperCollins Publishers
- Imprint:The Borough Press
- Published:19 Aug 2019
- Readership:General (US: Trade)
- Dimensions:163 x 228 x 37 (mm)
- Pub. Country:United Kingdom
- For sale in:Greece, United Kingdom, Australia, Ireland, Germany,
Violet Speedwell, mourning for both her fiance and her brother and regarded by society as a ‘surplus woman’ unlikely to marry, resolves to escape her suffocating mother and strike out alone. A new life awaits her in Winchester. Yes, it is one of draughty boarding-houses and sidelong glances at her naked ring finger from younger colleagues; but it is also a life gleaming with independence and opportunity.
Violet falls in with the broderers, a disparate group of women charged with embroidering kneelers for the Cathedral, and is soon entwined in their lives and their secrets. As the almost unthinkable threat of a second Great War appears on the horizon Violet collects a few secrets of her own that could just change everything… Warm, vivid and beautifully orchestrated, A Single Thread reveals one of our finest modern writers at the peak of her powers.